Skip to main content

Sewing, Baking, and Learning!

I have been working on developing new skills to prepare myself to be a mom one day and to improve my skills as a homemaker. I want to learn so much--gardening & seed saving, preserving food, bread making, making my own ingredients, creating recipes, ceramics, and many more things. There's always more to learn and it keeps things interesting.

    For the past few months, I have been focusing on sewing and baking. My mother bought me a beautiful blue sewing machine for my birthday so that I could learn and it's been delightful—it's so much faster than hand sewing, which is the only way I knew how to sew previously. So far, I have made 2 baby blankets and am planning some clothing items to make. I also want to make some place mats for our table and see how that goes! Sewing has been a bit stressful, but I think I can get the hang of it quickly. Here's a picture of the second baby blanket I made that has little ducklings bounding along streams. 


 

    Along with that, I've been working on expanding what I can bake. I learned how to bake delicious pies when I was 14 or so, and it's been my specialty since, but I don't really go beyond it much and I want to be able to make whatever I wish. So I have, I made some vegan beignets and, with the help of my husband, a delightful dairy-free Oreo cheescake (recipes linked).

    As you will see on my Instagram in the next week, I have also made a peach cobbler and a fun banana bread recipe! If you're curious to see more of what I do in the day-to-day, I recommend checking out my Instagram account @stories.with.the.stricklands ! I'd love to see you there!

    I've become fairly confident in my ability to follow a recipe, so I want to try something new. What would you like to hear about in my learning journey? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Birth Story

Birth was one of the most fascinating experiences. I remember most of it, but as my husband could tell you, I was definitely delirious at some points and I don't remember much of the conversations I had then.        It was very fast. From the time my contractions started (that I was aware of) to the time my baby was born was a span of only 6 hours! I labored for 4 hours and pushed for 2 hours. It all happened so rapidly!       3 nights before my scheduled c-section,  I felt that I needed to go to bed early — which I now recognize as a prompting from God to prepare me for a joyful, although sleepless, night. So, I went to bed around 7pm and woke up to terrible gas pains at about 9:15pm. After using the bathroom, I hoped the pain would stop and moved to go back to bed when I got hit with another bout of pains. I told my husband I was going to go sit in the living room since sleep was unlikely with the aching I was having. The pains were primarily in...

Back to Church

 I went to church for the first time in many months and it was lovely. With my difficult pregnancy and being freshly postpartum, it has probably been about 8 months since I've been able to attend church (in person, at least). It was so good to be able to partake of the sacrament, hear the thoughts and lessons shared, and meet new people—since this was also the first time in our new area since moving when our baby was 3 weeks old.      The lesson was meant to be about being mindful of each other, finding God in all of our experiences, and seeing how He uses our lives and circumstances to bring us closer to Him—and we did talk about that—but I also noticed how so many things shared were about parenting. It was the perfect lesson to return to, since my whole life now revolves around my parenthood. A sister shared that parenting is often hard and overwhelming, until she remembers that these little children are God's, not just hers, and they were placed with her so she c...

Almost A Mom

 I was almost a mom, kind of. I think Seth and I have a baby in heaven now, at least. Last week, I should have gotten my period and took a test which resulted in a positive. The next day was negative. I decided to take a break for a few days, but on Saturday the 25th, I felt in my heart and soul that I was pregnant. Symptoms from me and my husband made me believe it, but more than that it was like a spiritual knowledge that my baby was with me at the time. On the 26th, we got our solid positive test and we were so excited, so we told all of our family members immediately, because I have never understood waiting to tell others.      My birthday was on Monday and it was perfect so we could tell all my family members that were in town. It was wonderful. Because I had suspected from the Wednesday before that I may be pregnant, I purchased a pregnancy journal and some small announcement gifts for them that I figured I could save for the future if I wasn't pregnant. But be...