Skip to main content

Back to Church

 I went to church for the first time in many months and it was lovely. With my difficult pregnancy and being freshly postpartum, it has probably been about 8 months since I've been able to attend church (in person, at least). It was so good to be able to partake of the sacrament, hear the thoughts and lessons shared, and meet new people—since this was also the first time in our new area since moving when our baby was 3 weeks old.

    The lesson was meant to be about being mindful of each other, finding God in all of our experiences, and seeing how He uses our lives and circumstances to bring us closer to Him—and we did talk about that—but I also noticed how so many things shared were about parenting. It was the perfect lesson to return to, since my whole life now revolves around my parenthood. A sister shared that parenting is often hard and overwhelming, until she remembers that these little children are God's, not just hers, and they were placed with her so she could raise them to be good people who are capable of fulfilling their role in His kingdom. What a beautiful thought to consider and remember. I have pondered often on how clear it is that my daughter has a work to do in her lifetime—she is already a healer and a beacon of light and love. So, adding to that, how God put her with me as her mother intentionally to help her accomplish that purpose is very comforting. A little daunting, at times, but ultimately helpful in remembering to be conscious of my parenting and to do the best I can.

    And I know that it's not just me—it's my husband, and her aunties, uncle, grandparents, and the Lord Himself raising her up to become her wonderful self. But, I am the one who is with her the most as a stay at home mom, and so I also recognize how influential I will be on her. And I want to raise her knowing her Lord. A new friend with 4 young children shared that sometimes just getting to church is hard and exhausting—but she keeps doing it because she wants her babies to know Jesus. I love being a mother, and having a community of mothers, who wants to raise our children to know Who they can turn to when things are hard or don't go as they hoped. We aren't perfect, but we know Who is.

    I found this quote that I really like and want to keep in mind as I parent and pray for my family:

"I was also told that there is no greater prayer than that of a mother for her children. These are the purest prayers because of their intense desire and, at times, sense of desperation. A mother has the ability to give her heart to her children and to implore mightily before God for them." 

-Betty J. Eadie

      I have certainly felt my prayers have intensified since becoming a mother; especially when those prayers are for my daughter. Becoming a mom has been the most profound spiritual experience of my life, truly. I don't believe that everyone needs to become a parent to experience great depth with God, but I did. The lessons at church and meeting other mothers helped me understand it just a little bit more and I'm grateful.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Birth Story

Birth was one of the most fascinating experiences. I remember most of it, but as my husband could tell you, I was definitely delirious at some points and I don't remember much of the conversations I had then.        It was very fast. From the time my contractions started (that I was aware of) to the time my baby was born was a span of only 6 hours! I labored for 4 hours and pushed for 2 hours. It all happened so rapidly!       3 nights before my scheduled c-section,  I felt that I needed to go to bed early — which I now recognize as a prompting from God to prepare me for a joyful, although sleepless, night. So, I went to bed around 7pm and woke up to terrible gas pains at about 9:15pm. After using the bathroom, I hoped the pain would stop and moved to go back to bed when I got hit with another bout of pains. I told my husband I was going to go sit in the living room since sleep was unlikely with the aching I was having. The pains were primarily in...

Almost A Mom

 I was almost a mom, kind of. I think Seth and I have a baby in heaven now, at least. Last week, I should have gotten my period and took a test which resulted in a positive. The next day was negative. I decided to take a break for a few days, but on Saturday the 25th, I felt in my heart and soul that I was pregnant. Symptoms from me and my husband made me believe it, but more than that it was like a spiritual knowledge that my baby was with me at the time. On the 26th, we got our solid positive test and we were so excited, so we told all of our family members immediately, because I have never understood waiting to tell others.      My birthday was on Monday and it was perfect so we could tell all my family members that were in town. It was wonderful. Because I had suspected from the Wednesday before that I may be pregnant, I purchased a pregnancy journal and some small announcement gifts for them that I figured I could save for the future if I wasn't pregnant. But be...