Skip to main content

Trying Is Hard

 We have been ttc (trying to conceive) for about 4-5 months now, and it's been an interesting journey. We're still not pregnant, but we're hopeful! I knew it would be hard, but I didn't expect it to be as much of an emotional roller coaster as it is. In a month, you will menstruate, and after it ends you wait for signs of ovulation (egg white discharge, energy) and take some ovulation tests to confirm it and you're excited, then you wait another 2 weeks—hyperaware of any symptom that might indicate pregnancy, but could also be symptoms of PMS or anything else in the female body—and you pray that you're having a safe, healthy implantation. And if/when you start menstruating again, you're incredibly disappointed, frustrated, and feel a sense of loss and inadequacy. 

    It's difficult to want something so badly and be doing all the right things, but it's not happening as soon as you hoped. I didn't expect the jealousy and discouragement I have felt when I've seen my friends announce their pregnancies. I didn't expect to look up "symptoms of pregnancy", "symptoms of ectopic pregnancy", "symptoms of chemical pregnancy", and so much more so many times a month. And it was especially hard in the first 2 months as I insisted on specific routines—including our diet, exercise, and sex life—just before and during ovulation. 

    It has become somewhat easier as I've been able to change my mindset a bit. I don't want our desire to have children to become an interference in my marriage, so we are trying to put less pressure on ourselves to get pregnant and just have fun and enjoy our time together and learning how to have a joyous and fulfilling sexual experience. Seth has been so helpful while I've been trying to adjust my thoughts towards it—he's always willing to listen to my thoughts and feelings and discuss things. That emotional intimacy between us has enhanced our sexual experience and deepened our love in our marriage as a whole. 

    I'm still doing a lot of research to help our chances of conceiving, but I'm not being as obsessive about everything. We're focusing on our faith, serving others, enjoying our time as newlyweds, and loving each other completely. It is certainly not easy, but we're doing better and making progress. And we'll have children when God chooses to bless us with them!

    I just wanted to share my experiences and send love to anyone also going through this! TTC is hard and I'm glad that I'm now able to understand the feelings that other women TTC feel so I can empathize better. I trust that God has everything figured out for us though and we'll all get to be moms in some way or another. May you find some peace in your journey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Birth Story

Birth was one of the most fascinating experiences. I remember most of it, but as my husband could tell you, I was definitely delirious at some points and I don't remember much of the conversations I had then.        It was very fast. From the time my contractions started (that I was aware of) to the time my baby was born was a span of only 6 hours! I labored for 4 hours and pushed for 2 hours. It all happened so rapidly!       3 nights before my scheduled c-section,  I felt that I needed to go to bed early — which I now recognize as a prompting from God to prepare me for a joyful, although sleepless, night. So, I went to bed around 7pm and woke up to terrible gas pains at about 9:15pm. After using the bathroom, I hoped the pain would stop and moved to go back to bed when I got hit with another bout of pains. I told my husband I was going to go sit in the living room since sleep was unlikely with the aching I was having. The pains were primarily in...

Back to Church

 I went to church for the first time in many months and it was lovely. With my difficult pregnancy and being freshly postpartum, it has probably been about 8 months since I've been able to attend church (in person, at least). It was so good to be able to partake of the sacrament, hear the thoughts and lessons shared, and meet new people—since this was also the first time in our new area since moving when our baby was 3 weeks old.      The lesson was meant to be about being mindful of each other, finding God in all of our experiences, and seeing how He uses our lives and circumstances to bring us closer to Him—and we did talk about that—but I also noticed how so many things shared were about parenting. It was the perfect lesson to return to, since my whole life now revolves around my parenthood. A sister shared that parenting is often hard and overwhelming, until she remembers that these little children are God's, not just hers, and they were placed with her so she c...

Almost A Mom

 I was almost a mom, kind of. I think Seth and I have a baby in heaven now, at least. Last week, I should have gotten my period and took a test which resulted in a positive. The next day was negative. I decided to take a break for a few days, but on Saturday the 25th, I felt in my heart and soul that I was pregnant. Symptoms from me and my husband made me believe it, but more than that it was like a spiritual knowledge that my baby was with me at the time. On the 26th, we got our solid positive test and we were so excited, so we told all of our family members immediately, because I have never understood waiting to tell others.      My birthday was on Monday and it was perfect so we could tell all my family members that were in town. It was wonderful. Because I had suspected from the Wednesday before that I may be pregnant, I purchased a pregnancy journal and some small announcement gifts for them that I figured I could save for the future if I wasn't pregnant. But be...